All HMHA, DMHA & Rivercats Coaches & Helpers,
It has been mentioned several times by members of all Associations that some practices have started late because the group before them was late getting off (accessories and players) and their slot started later. Also, the first home exhibition LL game in Dunnville was curfewed because minutes were lost because of the user before not being off the ice on time that delayed the ice resurfacing.
A reminder to veterans and a tip to the new coaches & helpers;
- accessories should be packed and immediately be ready to leave the ice surface at the horn
- end of practice pep talks should be held before the horn and players leaving immediately at the horn
- dedicate a helper(s) to gather accessories (on and off the ice helpers) well before the horn so the coach can continue with instruction
- try not to run your last drill involving an excessive amount of accessories (do all 500 pucks still need to be in use in the last 10 minutes of a practice) so they can be removed early or be ready for immediate removal at the horn
- keep an eye on the clock and have a good end of practice time plan
In the end, it is a common sense respect for the next user group, whether it be a DMHA or HMHA or Rivercats group. We all want to see the games and no one likes a game curfewed because pucks or other accessories were still being cleaned up for minutes after the horn from a practice.
Groups with hard boards and foam boards should especially be cautious with time, as those items are time and labour consuming.